Western Gateway Urban Design Review
The Ringwood Western Gateway is the entrance to the City of Maroondah along Maroondah Highway and the railway line.
It is positioned at the western edge of the Ringwood Metropolitan Activity Centre, where there is a transition to higher density integrated and sustainable development and three major transport corridors - Maroondah Highway, the Belgrave/Lilydale Railway line and EastLink.
The elevated position of the immediate surroundings also provide panoramic views eastwards to the Dandenong Ranges and Wicklow Ridgeline.
The Ringwood Western Gateway Urban Design Review has been prepared to provide a vision for the future urban form of the Gateway that will improve the safety, comfort and aesthetics of the western entrance to the City of Maroondah.
The document builds upon the Ringwood Transit City Urban Design Masterplan and seeks to:
- protect the significant panoramic views towards the Mount Dandenong Ranges and Wicklow Hills from the entry to the municipality;
- provide for the development of built form that highlights the western gateway of the Ringwood Activities Area;
- ensure the height of gateway ‘feature’ buildings complement the public and private realm;
- emphasise convenient and safe access between public transport services and the various destinations within this precinct;
- improve pedestrian accessibility of the precinct; and
- continue the strong landscape theme and character of Whitehorse Road to the west.