Ringwood is known for its Clock Tower. Conceived as a War Memorial after the Great War, the Clock Tower was built in 1928 on the corner of Whitehorse Road (Main Street) and Warrandyte Road. It was formally unveiled by the Mayor of the newly formed Borough of Ringwood, and not by military ceremony.
The Clock Tower became an icon and, increasingly, a traffic hazard. With the mooted development of Eastland Shopping Centre nearby, it was decided, after some controversy, to re-erect the Clock Tower at the site of the former Cool Stores on the corner of Whitehorse Road and Wantirna Road.
It was re-dedicated in December 1967.